On my recent trip to Tanaka Farms in Irvine, I picked up some beautiful Swiss Chard and Beets which was perfect for a colorful salad.
For this recipe, carrots and bean sprouts were added to the salad and topped with walnuts. Feel free to add other ingredients as desired.
- 2-3 beets, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 Swiss chard, chopped ( or spinach, arugula, or kale)
- Optional vegetables: carrots, celery, red onion, radish, tomatoes, avocado, etc
- Optional: goat cheese, crumbled
- Optional nuts: cashews, walnuts, almonds, etc
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Peel beets and cut into 1 inch cubes. Add to prepared baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
Toss together and spread evenly on the baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes or until soft.
To serve: add Swiss chard and any other vegetables into a salad bowl and toss together with dressing. Top with roasted beets, cheese or nuts.