By swapping cauliflower for rice and adding goat cheese, this recipe recreates the creamy texture for a healthier risotto option.
Bonus: You will be out of the kitchen in under 30 minutes as the cauliflower cooks quicker than rice.
- 1 head cauliflower (4-5 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon sage (chopped)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup chicken broth (or more as needed)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree ( can or fresh)
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup goat cheese or parmesan cheese
- Optional garnish: sage, goat cheese, pumpkin seeds, et
Using a cheese grater, grate cauliflower until it resembles rice grains (or use a food processor)
Heat butter in a skillet or saucepan Add sage and stir for a couple of minutes over low – medium heat until butter has turned light brown and has a nutty aroma.
Add in onion and garlic and sauté for a few minutes or until onions are translucent Add in cauliflower, half of the broth and stir for about 5 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Add in remaining broth and continue to cook until cauliflower is softened.
Stir in pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice (if using), salt, pepper and goat cheese and stir until goat cheese is melted and cauliflower has a creamy texture.
Transfer to a serving dish and garnish as desired.