This quinoa and spinach bake is not only easy to make but also gluten free and vegetarian if you’re looking for a healthier option. What I love about this dish is that you can add whatever vegetables you have on hand and can make it as healthy, cheesy or creamy as you want by adjusting the ingredients to your preference. This can be served as a main dish or a side dish and makes great leftovers.
- 3 cups quinoa, cooked according to directions ( 1 cup dry quinoa)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Optional vegetables such as peppers, zucchini, artichokes, broccoli, etc
- 1 lb fresh spinach leaves ( or bag of frozen spinach, defrosted and liquid squeezed out)
- 1-2 cups cheese ( parmesan, mozzarella, cheddar, etc)
- 1 cup plain yogurt (can substitute with milk, almond milk, coconut milk, etc)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and cook for a few minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute. Add any other vegetables desired such as peppers, zucchini, artichokes, etc and sauté for a few minutes.
Add spinach and cook until it shrinks down in size.
Turn off heat and add in cooked quinoa, cheese, yogurt (or milk) salt and pepper and stir until combined.
Place mixture into greased baking dish and sprinkle additional cheese on top, if desired. Bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.