These pumpkin shaped rolls are the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving dinner! If you have a favorite dinner roll recipe, just add the pumpkin puree to your dough mixture.
And for those of you who may be thinking… I don’t have time to make rolls from scratch but want the pumpkin shape…here’s a short cut:
- Purchase a bag of frozen bake and serve dinner rolls
- Place on a pan coated with cooking spray, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for about 2 hours ( or as directed on the package for defrosting)
- Continue with recipe below after ” roll each piece into a ball shape”…..cut into sections and follow the recipe to get the pumpkin shape!
Makes 12-14, depending on size
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 packet (2 ¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 2 Tablespoons sugar or brown sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice ( optional)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, mixed with 1 Tablespoon of water (egg wash)
- Pecan pieces for stems
In the bowl of a standing mixer (or a large mixing bow if mixing by hand), add yeast and sugar in warm water and let sit for 10 minutes until dissolved and starts to foam.
Heat milk and butter in a small saucepan (or microwave) until butter is melted. Off the heat, whisk in pumpkin puree, egg, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
Add to the yeast mixture and stir. Using a dough hook, gradually mix in flour on low speed and knead on medium speed until dough pulls from the sides of the bowl (This will take about 10 minutes). If the dough seems sticky and does not pull from the sides of the bowl after this time, add 1 Tablespoon of flour at a time.
(If mixing by hand, mix with a wooden spoon and transfer dough to a work surface dusted with flour and knead for 5-7 minutes, until smooth but slightly tacky. It should spring back when poked).
Place dough on a working surface and knead for about 1 minute. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap or cloth. Let dough rise in a warm spot until doubled, about an hour. Punch dough down and transfer to a work surface and knead a couple of times.
Roll dough into a log and cut into 12 -14 pieces. Using your hands, roll each piece into a ball shape and flatten the top slightly with the palm of your hands. Using a knife, cut 6-8 slices around the dough, making sure not to cut the center. Using a handle of a wooden spoon or your finger, poke a hole on the top of each dough (for the stem) . Place dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and let rise again, without covering, for about 30-45 minutes. If needed, poke the tops again.
Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
Brush dough with egg wash and bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Insert pecan slices on top for the stem. Serve with butter…
Honey Butter (optional)
- 1 stick (½ cup) of unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice ( optional)
Mix all ingredients together using an electric mixer or fork until fluffy