This appetizer is simple, quick and healthy. It’s also perfect for those looking for a no carb option. Mini peppers are sold in bags in most grocery stores.
Makes 1 cup of pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2-3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12-16oz bag mini bell peppers
- 12 oz white cheese, cut into 1 inch blocks ( fontina, mozzarella, gruyere, etc)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
For pesto: combine basil, garlic, Parmesan cheese and pine nuts in a food processor until combined. Slowly add olive oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Cut mini peppers lengthwise in half (do not remove stem). Place on a baking sheet and spoon pesto into each pepper half, then place sliced cheese in the middle of each pepper.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. (Can be assembled ahead and baked before serving)