Make these cute snowman cupcakes for your next holiday party or your kids school party. Since this is to show how to decorate, we will start with cupcakes already baked and cooled. I listed the ingredients I used to make the cupcakes but be creative and use other candies or decorations!
This is a fun project for your kids. Here is my grand daughter decorating her own snowman cupcakes 🙂
- Cupcakes – any flavor you prefer
- White frosting – I prefer using store bought frosting as the cupcake and decorations hold up better than homemade frosting.
- Coconut flakes (snow)
- Jumbo marshmallows (body)
- Regular marshmallows (body)
- Pretzel sticks (arms)
- Various candies (use other candies if you prefer)
- mini chocolate chips (eyes)
- mini m&ms (nose and buttons)
- tootsie rolls (hat)
- gum drops (hat)
- licorice (scarf or buttons)
- gummy worms (scarf)
Jumbo marshmallows can be found in your local grocery store. I used 1 jumbo and 1 regular size to create the body but you can use just the regular size if you prefer. If you are using the jumbo, I found that it’s too big to fit on a regular size cupcake so I cut it about 3/4 of the way and it held up better.
To decorate: Frost cupcake and place jumbo marshmallow on top of frosting. If you’re using 2 different size marshmallows, spread frosting on top of jumbo marshmallow and place regular marshmallow on top of jumbo. The frosting will hold the marshmallows in place but if it’s not holding up well, you can also insert a pretzel stick in between the marshmallows or between the jumbo marshmallow and cupcake to help support. Add coconut flakes on top of the frosting, around the marshmallow.
To decorate cupcake: use frosting to hold the candies in place:
- Eyes: mini chocolate chips
- Nose: cut the mini m&ms in half
- Hat: shape tootsie rolls or gum drops with your hands
- Buttons: mini m&ms or licorice pieces
- Scarf: licorice, gum drops or gummy worms
- Arms: insert pretzel sticks into marshmallow or cupcake
It’s fun making different sizes and using different candies or items. For presentation, I added green sprinkles (grass) and coconut flakes (snow) and added gum drops and candy for color.