Sangria is great for entertaining large crowds and the perfect cocktail to serve at brunch or afternoon party. It’s easy to make. guests can serve themselves without mixing and you can make it the night before to have more time mingling with your guests. Make 2 batches, one red and one white for guests to choose. And the orange and cranberry scone makes a perfect pairing for brunch or an afternoon get together.
Orange and Cranberry Scones
Makes 2 dozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick ( 8 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips ( or white chocolate chips)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel (reserve rest for icing)
- Juice of half an orange (reserve other half for icing)
- ½ cup buttermilk or heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or orange extract
- 1 egg mixed with 1 teaspoon of milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 Tablespoons of orange juice (use orange that was grated)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or 2 knifes until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in chocolate chips, dried cranberries, grated orange peel and juice.
Add buttermilk or milk in a measuring cup and whisk in egg and vanilla into the same cup. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and mix just until dough is formed (do not overmix).
Drop Tablespoon size on to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush tops with egg wash mixture.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack and drizzle the tops with icing.
Icing: In a bowl, mix together powdered sugar, grated orange peel and juice until smooth. Adjust icing to desired consistency by adding more powdered sugar or juice, as needed.
Jingle Juice (Sangria)
- 1 bottle of wine (red or white)
- ¼ cup brandy or cognac
- ¼ cup triple sec or cointreau
- ¼ cup sugar (omit if using dessert wine)
- Fruits desired: orange, apple, pear, pineapple, lemon, lime, honeydew, etc.
- Club soda
In a pitcher. add in all ingredients except for club soda and mix well. Chill in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight (If using strawberries or raspberries, add before serving as it will become soggy if left overnight).
Before serving, mix in some club soda and serve!